Valley of the Tetons Library requested funds to finish the permanent Makerspace in their Driggs location during this year’s Youth Philanthropy Program. To be more functional, the library needed expanded storage, shelving, and seating to encourage creative processes. The library asked for hardware and seating to be installed and set up for use by library patrons in the community. Youth Philanthropists fully funded this grant for $1,000 due to the numerous cross-sections of the community it would serve.
Three years ago, the library adopted “Makerspace” Programming as part of its ongoing education plans at the library. Makerspace is a constructivist movement that is taking the world by storm. Imagine DIY meets education! Makerspace is not only a hack shop where you can go to learn how to use a 3D printer for the afternoon but an educational concept as well. The library space presents readily-available materials that can act as a provocation for inquiry, as well as modern technology and items to invent with. They started a Maker Program and Makerspace in their Victor branch with Maker Monday classes. Continuing through with this concept they have created Tech Time, Tech for Girls, Open Build, and other programs for the library. Eventually, they divided programming when the Driggs branch opened. Due to the success of their current programs, a permanent space is now needed to make the Makerspace more accessible and sustainable.
As of this writing, there is no state-mandated STEM or coding programming for Idaho or the Teton County school system. Teton Valley community members, especially the youth, are in dire need of access to extended learning opportunities. The library provides free and equal opportunities for information and equipment. Schools without a Makerspace or without plans to implement a Makerspace are now in the minority. According to data pulled from the latest national “Speak Up” Survey from Project Tomorrow, a full 31% of schools already have a Makerspace of some sort, and another 23% have plans to implement one, which together is a majority of 54%.
Parents, administrators, and members of the community see Makerspaces as valuable for college and career readiness. However, there are no such spaces in our schools in Teton Valley. Nationwide, of those that have already implemented a Makerspace, the vast majority — 71% — have it located in the school library or media center. About 23% have it located somewhere else. For Teton Valley, this space is your public library – Valley of the Tetons. This makes their Makerspace absolutely crucial to support the education of our youth.
Makerspace programs provide necessary education not currently offered in our schools. A bonus is that they assist with homeschooling curriculum. The maker movement is about teaching and learning that is focused on student-centered inquiry. It is a critical part of making these concepts available to the community, especially the youth. The library provides this exposure to STEM, (STEAM) education, tech, and creative exploration. There is strong advocacy for this type of teaching and learning. The Makerspace fills a critical need in our community by creating this place for learning and instruction that is free and open for every member of the community. This space fills a dual need, as it will also house both of our 3D printers and our protocycler. With a Makerspace, we can move beyond consumption to creation!