We believe in a community where everyone is a swimmer and has access to water safety education, and the health and wellness benefits of swimming. Access to swimming – for health, wellness, recreation,
It matters for the 6-month-old experiencing water for the first time. It matters for the 6-year-old in swim lessons building skills that will stay with them for a lifetime. It matters for the 16-year-old and their first summer job as a lifeguard. It matters for the 36-year-old, taking their family to the pool to play and spend time together, affordably. It matters for the 60-year-old, working with their physical therapist in the pool post-surgery. It matters for our community’s health, wellness, recreation, and safety.
Our mission is to partner with the City of Driggs and the community of Teton Valley to provide an aquatic recreation facility to expand health, safety, and educational opportunities for our community. Our vision is to fulfill the goal of year-round aquatic access for Teton Valley. We value equity of access to water and education, lifelong wellness and healthy communities, and good stewardship of financial, human and environmental resources.
In 2018-2019, we:
- Empowered 140 swimmers in the free Winter Sports Learn-To-Swim program with the life-saving skill of swimming. 67% of the participants began the program as non-swimmers.
- Installed 3 Lifejacket Loaner Stations on the Teton River.
- Served over 300 students in May through the “Josh The Otter” Water Safety Education program, teaching kids to always swim with an adult and to learn to float
- Launched the first Community Learn-To-Swim Program in partnership with Teton Valley Resort and Community Foundation of Teton Valley that is accessible and affordable. 90 kids will be participating, with over 85% being non-swimmers.
- Completing aquatic facility feasibility study in July that will lay the framework for design, construction
andoperations of the future facility.
Our Big 2019-2020 Goals:
- We will pilot a fall and winter learn-to-swim program for year-round swim lesson opportunities, in Teton Valley.
- We will secure land for the future facility in partnership with City of Driggs by the end of 2019.
- We will expand the “Josh The Otter” Water Safety Program by 50% in 2020.
- We will create more affordable recreational and therapeutic swimming opportunities through Teton Valley Swims and Community Pool Parties for residents of all ages.
Why does giving to Teton Valley Aquatics through the Tin Cup Challenge matter? Because it is a catalyst that forwards our mission. The Tin Cup Challenge is a significant portion of our annual budget. It teaches hundreds of kids how to swim and hundreds more about water safety. It provides families with an affordable way to spend time together. It is laying the groundwork for our communities future facility. Each contribution to TVA provides an opportunity for a child, a family and for our community to be healthier and safer.